Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Anniversary Deals

Surrey Rats

Monday, March 26th, 2007 — 11:11pm PDT

rizzo1.jpgSurrey’s mascot is actually a rodent, but this post isn’t about Sir. E. Beaver. When I first saw the date line of the following news story, combined with the title, I laughed. Of course the article about rats takes place in Surrey. I was about to go off on a tirade when I kept reading, hmm “South Surrey”.

Now we all know that those who live in “South Surrey” like to just say they live in White Rock because hey, that does have a better ring to it. But we do realize that South Surrey was pretty nice. Lovely golf courses, ocean views, forests, parks, beaches, but now nothing is sacred – all of Surrey is apparently rat infested.

Construction pushing rats out of their nests

SURREY (NEWS1130) – Imagine reaching for a box of pasta and getting a handful of rats instead! That’s what happened to Julianne Lee at the Save-On-Foods in South Surrey. Lee, who has a phobia of rodents, screamed for an hour and a half.

Save-On spoke with health workers, who think all the construction in the area has disturbed the rats’ nest and dens and sent them into places they don’t normally go. It may be a problem around the Lower Mainland, where booming construction could have an impact on the rodent population. [News1130]

The first time I saw a rat I was walking to work in Vancouver, along False Creek. I had lived in Surrey my entire life at that point and took the Skytrain to Main St to start walking up to Quebec. Right before the Burger King something scurried across the sidewalk in front of me. The second time came years later, in English Bay.

Sure the whole idea of reaching for a product on a shelf at the grocery store and getting a handful of rat instead sounds pretty amusing (to me anyway), but would this be news if it happened somewhere else? I don’t want to start crying about how persecuted Surrey is, but I know for a fact that “construction” has been displacing rodents all over the Lower Mainland for decades now. Lord knows Surrey isn’t the only community around here that’s experiencing growth and development. Although the whole “Whalley is the new Yaletown” statement is disturbing beyond belief [BR], but that’s another story, and another set of rats.

1. Tai - Tai says:

Nah not news here in China. The people eat them. They can be found hanging next to the dog, chicken and other animals outside the restaurant waiting for the discriminating diner to order one up for lunch.

You will also find that they are in all the best restaurants, either climbing the walls or scurrying under your feet. Yes that has happened to me on more than a few occassions! EWWW!

The problem here is that people throw there garbage, left over lunch etc. in the street or wherever so the rats are rampant. A vicious circle I guess, that food chain.

2. Tai - Tai says:

Sorry for mis-spellings on Occasions and “there garbage” should be “their garbage.” Oops! Long day! Time to call it a night! I did not catch that until it was too late!

3. Chris says:

Sir E. Beaver, hehehehehe

Reminds me of Senior B. Varotti from Wall E. Weasels pizza!

4. Rod says:

I’ve seen a few rats in my time, but have only seen one in downtown Vancouver – at Stanley Park. We were at Prospect Point and there were a bunch of tourists there also. Suddenly there was rustling in the bushes on the other side of the fence and the tourists got all excited because they thought they were going to see, I don’t know, a beaver or something, and suddenly the biggest rat I’d ever seen scurried into view. They didn’t quite know what to say.
    So that’s my one and only rat in Vancouver. Although I’ve seen skunks a whole bunch of times. That struck me as a little weird…

5. Jenny says:

I’ve seen lots of Skunks in Vancouver too and Racoons and Coyotes in Surrey but never any rats.

6. wyn says:

A rodent for a city mascot? What were they thinking?!
    In my time here, I’ve seen a coyote and skunks. No rats… yet.
    It certainly isn’t uncommon at other construction site in the city but it is newsworthy when (1) the city has such a mascot and (2) it’s concentrated on an area that it becomes a concern to more people and not just the *yet another* construction site next door.

7. Tyler Ingram says:

I used to work for Safeway (various store locations) and the rats I’ve seen were the size of small cats.

They’d be scurrying around and sometimes you’d hear the SNAP of the rat tracks killing them. Poor buggers, being broken in two and ugh.. and worse.

8. Jenny says:

That is disturbing ๐Ÿ™

I wrote a blog post two years ago about seeing a coyote in my driveway (in Surrey) while heading to work. I think I’ve seen more of those in Surrey than anything else – and they’re truly being displaced by construction.

In Vancouver, definitely skunks AND raccoons. They freak the bejesus outta me with their little hands.

10. Jenny says:

I came out of work late one night and as the door shut behind me found myself looking straight into the eyes of a raccoon. It freaked me out and a ran to my car and quickly locked it. Then I asked myself…why did I lock the doors ?

11. Bradley says:

i see lots of cougars in surrey

usually around the wheelhouse pub area

12. I see rats all the time around Vancouver. They’re called raccoons. Huge, fat ones that people are constantly feeding, especially in the park. When I run by these folks, they give you that “I’m not doing anything wrong” stare, but they are.

13. GZ Expat says:

As Tai-Tai said…rats are all over here. We’ve got rats in the office, which is located directly over a restaurant. The little b****rds have eaten through the TV video cables AND the power cord to the DVD player in the office. 240 watts through that little bugger when he bit into that. ZAP.

14. muschio says:

I have been living in Vancouver for about four years now and I have seen at least 9 rats and lots of mice. Downtown is filled with mice, specially in the bushes right outside skytrain stations. You can spot more than one rat along Robson, Granville, Howe, etc. just take a walk around the area at night and keep your eyes open. But if you are looking for a rat-watching-tour, the place you are looking for is around Science World (where the construction of the Olympic Village is) all the way to the Burger King and De-Serres across Main. Plenty of activity there. Probably the construction in those areas, nevertheless disgusting. I strongly suggest not going to those places at night if you are trying to avoid them.

No Tyee Love for Us