Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Anniversary Deals

Vancouver Morning Radio

Monday, February 12th, 2007 — 3:36pm PDT

ghettoblaster.jpgSeeing as I have an embarrassingly long commute to work each day, (not to mention first dropping 3 kids off at 3 different locations most days) I spend a lot of time listening to the radio each day. I do not have any professional insight (unlike some people we know) into this but as a regular listener I’m vastly unimpressed and find myself frustrated, searching for CD’s to break the boredom.

Although I do greatly appreciate ‘Traffic and weather together on the 1’s’ from News1130. It’s not really the kind of station you could listen to for extended periods of time. I find the trashy levels the Fox has sunk to lately quiet disturbing (and I am not a prude in anyway). Their ads that you are ‘never more then 2 minutes away from more rock’ are a complete lie considering the amount of inane babble that goes on before you even hear a single song. I tune in and if I hear a good song, I’ll stick it out but the chances of that happening have been decreasing greatly as of late.

For someone in my demographic, (Female 25-30) that really leaves 2 options, the Beat or Z. I actually find Kid and Nira very funny at times, they have great chemistry and have some interesting topics but as my best friend put it this morning ‘they will not shut up, will they?’. If, on the off chance they decide to play a song (gasp, music? on the radio? in the morning?) I guarantee you 9 times out of 10 it will be Justin Timberlake (or possibly Akon). At least Z95 does play music in the A.M., the mix can be odd at times (still tons of JT and too much Christina for my liking) and their hosts don’t drone on for too long. On occasion they are funny but I find that their jokes sound scripted or that they are trying to hard.

I guess, what I’m getting at , is there any regular radio station in the lower mainland that plays enjoyable music in the morning without too much jabbering (and please no country)?

A Miss604.com guest post by Jennifer Miles

Jennifer Miles

Guest contributor Jennifer Miles is a mother who loves being active with her family of seven. From camping, baseball, swimming, and day trips, she's a power-mom with a passion for BC living.

That’s why you need to download podcasts and listen to them in the car ๐Ÿ˜› HEY I know of a couple…

2. Mort-y says:

I totally agree! I would really like to wake up to some nice tunes – not inane banter. I usually listen to QM in the mornings, but lately they have been playing such suck-y songs. So, I gave Fred and Kathy a try. BIG mistake! I hate their stupid banter. Not funny, not entertaining in the least. I really don’t care what they did on the weekend or what TV they watched. Same goes for Terry and Terra (or whatever) on QM. I don’t need to hear about their private lives! GIVE ME TUNES to wake up to! Please……..anybody out there in radioland? I guess I’ll have to get me one of them iPod thing-ys like miss604 suggests. Smart girl!

Oh you don’t need an iPod to listen to podcasts… um but you do need a) a computer and/or b) an mp3 player of some kind. Maybe someone will get one for their birthday this year… eh? eh? oooooh ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. David says:

Of course, I’m kind of weird this way, but I listen to mostly Classical Music, and CBC2 105.7 with Tom Allen is probably the best introduction to that kind of music that anyone could ask for. He’s pleasant and intelligent, never snobby, and has great taste. I very often am humming the tunes that he’s chosen for the rest of the day. He mixes in a few scientific tidbits, mainly to furnish as water cooler talk, and there’s news and weather only at the hour. I’ve never heard anyone do what he does better, and it’s certainly an improvement over the grim wall-to-wall NPR reports we used to awaken to back in the US.

5. Loxy!! says:

As a broadcast journalism student, I listen to a lot of news radio in the morning.

I lean towards 1130 because I only have to listen for half an hour and I get the overview – if I need more info, I check out the internet.

But about a month ago, I couldn’t listen to 1130 – I’d just had my heart broken by one of their morning reporters. I tuned into CBC and while they focus on some interesting topics, I need more go-go-go to get me going in the morning.

I wake up to the FOX mostly because the AC/DC they play doesn’t make me want to lay in bed and “enjoy” what’s on the radio – it wakes me up and gets me out of the room rather quickly.

7. The Writer says:

I’m with you.

I get it. Justin Timberlake is talented. He writes catchy songs. I even like them.

Now please stop punishing me by playing them contantly! No wonder Cameron took off. She wanted her PeaceandQuietBack.

Love the blog!!

-a fellow miss 604

8. Keith says:

I have a really itchy radio-trigger-finger, particularly in the mornings. When my wife and I are on our way in I’ll switch back and forth between Z, the Beat, the Fox and Jack (I still love Larry & Willy…)

After I drop her off at work, the selection expands to include CKNW and the Team 1040. Even though they’re not exacly lyrical, listening to B-Mac and Scotty Rintoul in the morning can be pretty entertaining, especially the day after the Canucks’ game!

No Muse Isn't Good News