The Tops

What makes a blog popular? Is it your Technorati rating? The amount of comments you have? Daily hits, visits and links? Who knows, but it seems like people always like making lists. Lists for top things you should know, like and support. But who really is the ‘real’ source on what’s the best or not?

Gus Greeper (one of the most interesting local bloggers I’ve ever met) directed me toward this list of Top Smart Female Bloggers in Canada, 2006.

Aside from Raymi I haven’t heard of one of them. It’s not like I’m looking to be on the list, but either I’m really sheltered for not knowing a single other person on there or the author is limiting their choices to a select market.

As Raymi writes:

“i’m not shocked at being ignored amongst these people’s lists, funny, i am suppose to be canada’s #1 blogger yet i’m not “smart” ? i didn’t know that if you wanted to be smart you had to acknowledge progressive media and politics and write boring dribble daily. lame.”

Exactly. My daily reads are on my sidebar blog roll. They range from Yvonne in California talking about daily life, to Maktaaq blogging about zombies and hamsters. If I feel like directing some link love to some choice reads, I’ll do so, but I won’t go around ranking people. There are as many “top blogger” lists out there as there are awards shows in Hollywood, it gets redundant, tired and old fast.

Current Contests on Miss604
*All contests are open to residents of Canada only, unless otherwise stated. Contest timelines are published on each individual post along with entry methods. Some contests may only be open to those 19 years of age and older. Winners are announced on the contest blog posts. Contest policy »

1. gusgreeperFriday, February 2nd, 2007 — 11:18am PST

agreed. i love my reader base. LOVE them and most i’ve had since i started i have my favorite blogs but i would never want to hurt anyones feelings posting my favorites plus there’d be more than ten….if people want to do their own though fine, but really unless they are your own as i said on raymi’s then shut it.

2. melFriday, February 2nd, 2007 — 3:29pm PST

I generally don’t take technorati or lists or awards too seriously… but I do like finding new female Canadian bloggers so thanks for the sharing the link!

3. zanstormFriday, February 2nd, 2007 — 4:48pm PST

Technoranti is a joke. It is a linking joke. Blogtopsites rates blogs by visits and unique visitors which to me, is a better sign of success. But besides that appealing my competitive side, I really don’t have much use for ranks.
    Not to sound too much like a cheeseball, Rebecca, but you should be on the top female bloggers list. I always check your blog out because you write great content. That is the best blog in my opinion: one that sparks readers’ interest and keeps them coming back.
    The Canadian Blog Awards was/is a pretty sweet concept as well. Let readers have the say on who is the best!

4. colleenFriday, February 2nd, 2007 — 7:11pm PST

I’m always on the lookout for new canadian blogs – they’re hard to find and like mine, you only sometimes know if you’re reading a canadian blog vs one from… anywhere else. Part of that, I admit, is intentional – I had a run in with a client and my old site – but i find that unless I’m talking about something specifically vancouver, it’s kind of 6 of 1 whether people know where I am or not. i’ve got a weird wide readership if only because i read a bunch of random blogs and try and remember to comment on them as well….

5. raymiSaturday, February 3rd, 2007 — 12:40pm PST

yes yep.

6. BradleySaturday, February 3rd, 2007 — 1:17pm PST

When Brad blogs, people flock.

7. Miss604Saturday, February 3rd, 2007 — 1:28pm PST

Yes Brad, your big Miss604.com debut is about to happen. Are you prepared for the fallout instant fame?

8. BradleySaturday, February 3rd, 2007 — 4:48pm PST

FAO Miss604: If i wanted to hear from a butt i would fart ok?

9. Miss604Saturday, February 3rd, 2007 — 5:01pm PST

You’re a lovely addition to the blog, Bradley. And you also made me Google “FAO” to find out “WTF” it meant 😛

10. MaktaaqThursday, February 8th, 2007 — 9:31am PST

Wow, thanks for reading me!

Yours is one of the blogs I always check on Bloglines (the others can wait). As for top ten lists, I just see them as a way to discover some new blogs. Off to check them out!

11. Miss604’s Canuck Life :: A Vancouver Blog » Blog Archive » Best Canadian BlogSaturday, November 3rd, 2007 — 2:30am PST

[…] I’ve never personally interacted with Raymi (except in a few comments) I believe she and John passed a couple notes back and forth in regards to healthy dinner party […]