let me be your hog

When I was little I used to listen to tapes to help me sleep. I don’t mean they were “you’re getting very sleepy” tapes, but just music in general although the spoken word Dylan Thomas tape always did the trick as well. I also know that when reading this my sister is going to mention something about the time I was listening to an old Christmas tape, which had audio of her and my brother (at about ages 4 and 2) singing and talking. I fell asleep with it running and my ghetto blaster ate the tape, completely destroying it. Sorry.

Now one artists whose tapes we had an abundance of in our house was Weird Al. My brother had every tape in his collection, a VHS copy of UHF and ‘The Complete Al’. I would listen to these tunes to help me sleep – as a result, I can recite almost every word to every Weird Al song known to man and the Spatula City jingle often gets stuck in my head spontaneously.

Needless to say, we were all big Weird Al fans. Remember when he would take over Much Music or MTV? Ah… good ol’ Al.

“Weird Al” Yankovic has reigned for over 20 years as the best-selling musical comedy artist in history, with over 12 million albums sold, three Grammy Awards including “Best Comedy Album” for 2003’s “Poodle Hat,” 10 MTV/VH1 specials, his own feature film (UHF), a Disney Channel special, a CBS television series and countless miles logged on tour [UG.com]

A while ago he released the song “You’re Pitiful” on his website [604], since it was not to be included in the forethcoming album. Various tracks from the album are now available almost anywhere online, and of course on You Tube [White & Nerdy]. Ah the weebernet, what can’t it do? The much anticipated album, Straight Outta Lynwood, is in stores next Tuesday, September 26th.

And yes I know, I’m a total dork.

1. JohnWednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 2:44pm PDT

I believe we have a copy of UHF on DVD in the apartment as well.

2. JennyWednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 3:25pm PDT

YOU DESTROYED THE TAPE ?!?! ha, what about the tape you made for me when I went away to summer camp for the first time and you missed me. You interviewed the neighbourhood kids, some stuffed animals and sang.. ‘splish splash I was taking a bath…’
    he he he

3. Miss 604Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 3:29pm PDT

my very first adventures in podcasting… sorta… HEY I WAS 4 years old!

4. curtisWednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 6:48pm PDT

I used to fall asleep listening to “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” on LP. Thomas’s voice was absolutely hypnotizing.

Favourite moment: Kid spends afternoon throwing snowballs at cats. When he learns that the neighbour’s house is on fire, he thinks, “This is better than all the cats in Wales lined up in a row.” Awesome.

I can’t imagine what drifting off to Weird Al night after night would do to a person…

5. Miss 604Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 6:57pm PDT

Child’s Christmas in Wales is what I would listen to. I could recite the entire thing :p I always hoped to fall asleep before the part about the carolling at the strange old dude’s house… then they hear him singing back in a spooky voice (it freaked me out)

yeah anything from weird al to tiffany to bryan adams *shudder*

6. SoultranceWednesday, September 20th, 2006 — 11:43pm PDT

I can remember, years ago, going to a Wierd Al concert at the stadium thing next to the PNE? I still remember that it was a great time and the fact that weird al came on stage dressed like a dr and tore apart a manikin during Like a Surgeon… pure genius.

7. FlatGregThursday, September 21st, 2006 — 4:47pm PDT

I used to love UHF! I need to get me a copy. I love white and nerdy too, weird Al really is king.

8. KevBoSunday, September 24th, 2006 — 7:53am PDT

do you remember when he had his short lived tv show?