IWANTtoBE event for One Girl Can

the ferguson point

Wednesday, July 19th, 2006 — 8:30am PDT

Metroblogging Meetup SignLast night John and I headed over to the Metroblogging Meetup in Stanley Park [met].

The potluck was yummy, the people were friendly and it was really great to see all these bloggers you’ve probably read but never met before.

Sometimes you think Vancouver’s become so plastic and fake (whether your nemesis be lululemon, snack dogs, poofy boots or some other ugly monsters [mg]) and it kinda gets you down. Then you attend a gathering like this, with people from all over, photographers, bloggers, entrepreneurs and unemployed – all with humour, humility, class and the one thing in common that brought you together. It kinda restores your faith in the people of this city.

There were a few of us “born n raised BC’ers” there and it was also neat to hear everyone’s story of how they came to be a blogger in Vancouver. One thing I’m taking away from the evening is that I am now determined to blog about that one GREAT restaurant in Surrey (for Ryan) just let me find it first.

Edit: John’s Meetup Recap [audihertz]

Edit: The PODCAST is now available [radiozoom]

1. John says:

Ricky’s!!!! :p

2. gusgreeper says:

next time im going even if i have to beg you two to meet up with me first ๐Ÿ™‚

3. LoLo D. says:

oh, it wouldn’t take any begging. They’re social butterflies. Just promise them beer and they’ll be there…. That should be their motto ๐Ÿ˜›

4. John says:

I take offense to that. It’s takes hard liquor before I’ll go over to anyone’s house, hence why we are seldom found at your place, Laura. ๐Ÿ˜€

pssh… beer…

5. Ryan says:

The concept that meeting the Vancouver Metbloggers would restore your faith in humanity is . . . fascinating.

Also, did anyone with a camera in our group not take a picture of my improvised sign? I’ll do better next time. Really.

The sign was lovely, although a co-worker just asked, “what’s with the undies on the tree?”

It restored temporary faith in Vancouverites. John and I have a hard enough time getting our neighbours to engage in small talk – the city’s been gettin’ mean lately.

7. Matt says:

Vishy Ganeshan, owner of Simply Curries South Indian style cafe on Kingsway is opening a full service and buffet location somewhere in Surrey later this year. It’s hard to call it the Best in Surrey if it’s not open yet, but it should at least be worth a visit. (Vishy had a moment of fame last month because his Kingsway location has suffered a number of vanadlism incidents and was featured in the news.)

8. LoLo D. says:

The reason you’re seldom found at my house is a) my liquour somehow finds itself to your house & b) you haven’t been invited since I’m either i) never home or ii) working late. ๐Ÿ˜›

9. […] the summer of 2006 I joined the Metroblogging Vancouver team and over the last few years our network has grown to represent […]

Vancouver Idle